MENU THE ARTS SOCIETY CAMBERLEY
Click here to view previous visits

DateVisit
17 October 2018Isle of Dogs including West India Dock, Limehouse Museum and Canary Wharf

Click on a row and scroll to display more details about the Visit

Isle of Dogs including West India Dock, Limehouse Museum and Canary Wharf
Wednesday 17 October 2018

The Isle of Dogs is situated some distance downriver from the City of London. It is an area in the East End of London that is bounded on three sides (east, south and west) by one of the largest meanders in the River Thames. The area was originally sparsely populated marshland before its drainage and planting in the 13th century. A catastrophic flood occurred in 1488, resulting in the area returning to its previous marshy condition. This was not reversed until Dutch engineers re-drained it in the 17th century

The northern boundary has never been clearly or consistently defined but many accept it to be the (former) line of the West India South Dock. The name Isle of Dogs had no official status until 1987, with the creation of the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood by Tower Hamlets London Borough Council.

After the building of the Docks (especially the West India Docks and the adjacent City Canal), and with an increasing population, locals increasingly referred to the area as The Island. This area includes Millwall, Cubitt Town, and Blackwall. The south of the isle opposite Greenwich was once known as North Greenwich, now applied to the area around the Millennium Dome on the Greenwich Peninsula.

Source: Wikipedia